Learn to read, write, speak and understand English and gain a qualification
ESOL skills for life
This course will help you improve your English language and literacy skills for everyday and working life in the UK. We offer courses for beginners and improvers with exams to help you gain a nationally recognised qualification.
On this course you will learn how to speak and understand English to communicate information and express your feelings and opinions. You will take part in conversations and discussions on a wide range of everyday topics. You will learn how to read and understand written information and be able to write notes, messages, emails and letters using appropriate spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Start Date: September, January and April
- Hours per week: 2 or 5 hours per week
- Duration: 12 weeks
- Course Fees: ESOL courses may be free to eligible learners who meet certain criteria. Some learners may have to pay a contribution towards their learning. Please ask us for more information.
To enrol or enquire you need to make an appointment for an assessment interview.
ESOL Introduction to Functional Skills.
Our ESOL courses are for you if you are 19+ and English is not your first language. We offer courses for beginners and improvers to learn English language skills and get a nationally recognised qualification. You will identify and work towards your own goals on your Individual Learning Plan and learn to use speaking and listening, reading and writing skills in everyday situations. ESOL courses will help you improve your confidence and skills with English language and progress in life and your career.
We offer short courses which lead to a single mode ESOL Award in one of the skill areas of Writing or Reading or Speaking & Listening and we offer long courses that lead to an ESOL Entry Level Certificate in all three skill areas. ESOL courses are offered at three different levels so that you can study at the right level for you. They cover everyday skills such as:
- Pronunciation, speaking to communicate, listening to understand, engaging in discussion
- Reading and understanding different types of texts, such as forms, letters, and emails
- Writing skills including English spelling, punctuation and grammar and you will practise writing different types of texts such as text messages, notes, emails, letters and forms
On the course you will also learn about different aspects of British culture and values, helping you to understand more about British life and work.
Courses take place in schools, libraries and children’s centres in Harrow.